PD: Woman injured after mistaking dynamite for candle in Bridgeport

PD: Woman injured after mistaking dynamite for candle in Bridgeport

Woman mistakes dynamite for candle, suffers severe injuries, police say

Authorities say the tragic accident happened to the 30-year-old mother of two, who had gone to Home Depot earlier that evening to try and buy emergency lighting. The store was closed, so when she got back home, she went into her basement to grab what she believed were candles. The woman thought she picked up candle sticks left behind by the former residents of the house. What she grabbed was actually a quarter stick of dynamite, police said.

The woman was taken to the hospital with “extreme injuries” to her hands and may lose her fingers, CBS Boston reports. She suffered serious facial injuries, but the explosion did not injure anyone else.

Authorities say the tragic accident happened to the 30-year-old mother of two, who had gone to Home Depot earlier that evening to try and buy emergency lighting. The store was closed, so when she got back home, she went into her basement to grab what she believed were candles. The woman thought she picked up candle sticks left behind by the former residents of the house. What she grabbed was actually a quarter stick of dynamite, police said.

It is against the law to have dynamite or fireworks in the state of Connecticut, but police arent pressing charges. Both the police and fire department searched the home and removed another dynamite device.

facebook twitter email (CBS News) — When thunderstorms knocked out power for homes in Bridgeport, Connecticut, on Thursday, a 30-year-old woman grabbed what she thought was a candle. But she accidentally lit a stick of dynamite, and suffered severe injuries, police told CBS Boston.

Authorities reminded residents to have backup lighting in their home in the event of a power outage. Authorities also reminded people to report any suspicious items that could cause a fire to the police.

After severe storms knocked out her power on Thursday, a Connecticut woman thought she was lighting a candle.

Authorities reminded residents to have backup lighting in their home in the event of a power outage. Authorities also reminded people to report any suspicious items that could cause a fire to the police.

But a spokesman for the city of Bridgeport said the woman, whom police have not identified, was actually setting fire to a quarter stick of dynamite, according to the Hartford Courant. It was around 9:20 p.m. when the woman mistakenly set off the explosion.

The womans children, who were not injured, called 911 after the dynamite exploded while it was still inside her hand, assistant fire chief Michael Caldaroni told WCVB. A window in the house was shattered from the blast, which also left the women without some of her fingers.

Assistant Bridgeport Fire Chief Michael Caldaroni says the woman was looking to light a candle in her home at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday after the power went out during a storm.

The victim was rushed to Bridgeport Hospital, WFSB reported, and her next-door neighbors had to be evacuated. Authorities say a second explosive device was found inside the house, and its possible a bomb squad will detonate it.

Woman suffers severe injuries after mistaking dynamite for candle during power outage

Caldaroni likened the explosive object to a makeshift firework, according to WCVB. Police say they continue to investigate.

Officers Gary Orahood & Joe Burkey rescue a man and a woman from debris of a house explosion in Columbus, Ohio.


Posted in Bridgeport