Officials: Bridgeport explosion a tragic accident

Officials: Bridgeport explosion a \tragic accident\

Woman mistakes dynamite for candle during power outage

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut woman mistook a stick of dynamite for a candle during a power outage and suffered severe hand injuries, authorities said Friday.

After the power went out in a thunderstorm Thursday night the woman recalled what she thought were candles left in the basement by the previous residents. A quarter stick of dynamite exploded in her hand, leaving her at risk of losing one or more of her fingers and also causing severe injuries to her face, city officials said.

One of the windows of the home was blown out by the force of the blast at about 9:30 p.m., Assistant Bridgeport Fire Chief Michael Caldaroni.

Assistant Bridgeport Fire Chief Michael Caldaroni says the woman was looking to light a candle in her home at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday after the power went out during a storm.

The woman, a mother of two children, was taken to the hospital for treatment after her family called 911. No one else was injured.

Firefighters located another explosive device in the home called the state police bomb squad to remove it. Nearby homes were also searched for explosives as a precaution.

(Newser) – Authorities say a Connecticut woman mistook a stick of dynamite for a candle during a power outage and suffered severe hand injuries, the AP reports. Assistant Bridgeport Fire Chief Michael Caldaroni says the woman was looking to light a candle in her home about 9:30pm Thursday after the power went out during a storm. The dynamite went off in the woman's hand.

When the power went out the woman, who is around 30 years old, first went to a store in hopes of purchasing emergency lighting but it was closed.

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact [email protected] or call 276-669-2181.

Woman seriously injured after mistaking stick of dynamite for a candle, police say

Authorities say the tragic accident happened to the 30-year-old mother of two, who had gone to Home Depot earlier that evening to try and buy emergency lighting. The store was closed, so when she got back home, she went into her basement to grab what she believed were candles. The woman thought she picked up candle sticks left behind by the former residents of the house. What she grabbed was actually a quarter stick of dynamite, police said.

The woman was taken to the hospital with “extreme injuries” to her hands and may lose her fingers, CBS Boston reports. She suffered serious facial injuries, but the explosion did not injure anyone else.

It is against the law to have dynamite or fireworks in the state of Connecticut, but police arent pressing charges. Both the police and fire department searched the home and removed another dynamite device.

Authorities reminded residents to have backup lighting in their home in the event of a power outage. Authorities also reminded people to report any suspicious items that could cause a fire to the police.


Posted in Bridgeport