A man and woman died in an apparent murder-suicide in Jackson County over the weekend, authorities said.
Joey Wayne Hollis and Kathryn Nichols were both found dead, according to the sheriffs office. Chief Deputy Rocky Harnen said investigators believe 36-year-old Hollis fatally shot 48-year-old Nichols before turning the gun on himself.
Here are warning signs to watch for if you fear someone is suicidal and resources that can help those thinking of harming themselves or who fear a loved one might harm themselves.
· Ask the person directly if he or she is having suicidal thoughts, has a plan to do so, and has access to lethal means.
· Take seriously all suicide threats and all past suicide attempts, even if he or she minimizes your concerns.
· Be willing to listen and be non-judgmental. Dont debate whether suicide is right or wrong, or whether feelings are good or bad. Dont lecture on the value of life or whether suicide is viewed by some as a sinful, selfish or angry act. Respect that suicidal feelings are most likely related to ending emotional or psychological pain.
· Get involved. Become available. Show interest and support. Take into account other trusted friends, family members or allies who can be a part of a supportive team.
· Dont be sworn to secrecy. Acknowledge that all suicidal risk is to be taken seriously and firmly and gently explain that you are seeking support.
· Crisis Center, Inc. (Birmingham) Phone: (205) 323-7777 Kids Help Line: (205) 328-KIDS (5437) Teen Link: (205) 328-LINK (5465) Senior Talk Line: (205) 328-TALK (8255) Hours of Operation: 24/7
· Crisis Services of North Alabama (Huntsville) Phone: (256) 716-1000 Toll Free: (800) 691-8426 Hours of Operation: 24/7
· Lifelines/Family Counseling Center of Mobile Phone: (251) 431-5111 Toll Free: (800) 293-1117 Hours of Operation: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (CST) Monday-Friday
Sources: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and The Alabama Suicide Prevention and Resource Coalition
BRYANT, AL (WAFF) – Authorities in Jackson County are investigating a murder-suicide that happened Saturday night just before midnight on County Road 131 in Bryant.
Investigators tell us 36-year-old Joey Wayne Hollis of Talladega killed 48-year-old Kathryn Rachels Nichols of Bryant. Hollis shot and killed Nichols, then killed himself.
Investigators believe alcohol was involved and say it appears Hollis and Nichols had been in a relationship.