2 Students Detained After Person Shot Near Mesquite High School – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

2 Students Detained After Person Shot Near Mesquite High School - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

One shot, two Mesquite High School students in custody, officials say

Students were placed on lockdown around 2:55 p.m. for about an hour while officers surrounded the school. School was let out at the normal time, and students were dismissed as normal.

Mesquite police say the shooting happened in a parking lot near a Wells Fargo. Two people were spotted fleeing the scene and running into the high school.

“All I heard was gunfire and everybody just started ducking,” he recalled. “We was in the middle of STARR testing and I panicked.”

Mesquite PD and the school district say no shots were fired on school grounds. They say the gunfire students heard was two blocks away from the school in a parking lot near a Wells Fargo on Main Street. When officers answered that call, they found one person with a gunshot wound.

“Two subjects were seen leaving the scene of the school and running towards Mesquite High School,” said Mesquite Police Lt. Stephen Biggs.

It turns out they were both students. They were seen on surveillance video going into the school after the shooting. The police department sent a lot of officers to the campus, including SWAT teams. The school went on lockdown while officers tracked down the students. Both were taken into custody for questioning.

“At this point, we do not know why they were at the bank or what their involvement was in the shooting,” Biggs said.

Investigators found no weapons at the school or near the bank’s parking lot. Concerned parents or guardians rushed to the school.

As the lockdown was lifted, students were let out to be reunited with their parents. It was a welcome sight after initially seeing nothing but the swarm of officers.

Biggs says the SWAT team happened to be training nearby, so they answered the call for backup along with officers on duty.

“Any time there is a school involved and we have any inclination that someone even may a gun, we’re gonna deploy our full resources to address that issue — quickly and safely,” Biggs said.

Police have released few details about the person who was shot, only saying that they were taken to a hospital.

Updated at 7:37 p.m.: Revised to clarify where the shooting occurred and additional information from police that states the shooting had nothing to do with the bank.

Two students at Mesquite High School were taken into custody Thursday afternoon after reports of gunfire nearby put the campus on alert.

Police responded about 2 p.m. to a shooting call at the parking lot of a Wells Fargo in the 100 block of West Main Street. Officers arriving in the vicinity found a person suffering from a gunshot wound. The victim was hospitalized in stable condition and is expected to survive.

According to Mesquite police, a witness saw two male suspects run from the area toward the high school, and the school was placed on lockdown.

Multiple officers were deployed to the campus and the two males, both students, were taken into custody. Their role in the shooting was unknown.

By 3:40 p.m., the school had gone into “lockout” mode until the regular dismissal time of 3:55 p.m. No weapons were found inside the school, police and district officials said.

Meanwhile, officers combed through trash bins and shrubbery outside the building, KXAS-TV (NBC5) reported.

Posted in Mesquite