This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.
SPRINGFIELD — Four people were sent to the hospital early Friday as a precaution after they were exposed to a chemical spill at the U.S. Postal Service Network Distribution Center in Indian Orchard, a fire official said.
Chemical spill prompts hazmat response at Springfield postal facility
Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Bernard J. Calvi, said firefighters were called to the facility on Fiberloid Street just before 12:30 a.m. for a reported chemical spill.
He said approximately one gallon of an industrial-cleaning chemical containing oxalic acid was spilled at the facility. Exposure to oxalic acid can cause respiratory problems, and as a result the scene was considered a hazardous materials emergency.
The four people who were closest to the spill and potentially exposed were all brought to the hospital to be evaluated, Leger said.
Mark Lawrence, USPS spokesman, said the spill was the result of a leaking package that was being delivered. Once the leak was discovered, the package was isolated, and the area around it restricted.
The U.S. Postal Inspection Service has been contacted, and it is following up with the sender of the package.